Maui B Platform – Upgrading of Aluminium Helidecking
The existing Maui B Platform helideck by AOPL was originally designed and installed in the early 1990s as an octagonal 17.5m helideck for a skid mounted Bell 212 helicopter (MTOW of 5080kg).
We were awarded the upgrading job to design, manufacture and supply XE enhanced safety decking to replace the old aluminium decking to cater for Transfield Worley’s new and heavier Westland Augusta AW139, MTOW 6.8T. Transfield Worley also requested for a design MTOW of 7.5MT to cater for a 10% extra potential load capacity.
The upgrading job scope included:
- To re-deck the old aluminium decking with our new XE enhanced safety type aluminium alloy decking
- To install the deckings offshore using minimal lift facilities, scaffolding and with zero hot work
- To replace the old tie-downs and associated helideck accessories
- To provide new central gutters and perimeter gutter covers and downcomers
- To provide new support brackets for perimeter lights and flood lights
- To design new helideck surface marking
The new XE enhanced safety decking was delivered to site (Plymouth, New Zealand) in November 2013. Under AOPL’s offshore supervision, the new decking was successfully installed on existing structure within 7 days, an amazing feat considering working in an offshore environment.
Transfield Worley has expressed deep appreciation for a job well done and the helideck is fully operational in such a short span.